Senior Backend Engineer
Intro to Circuit
Circuit is on a path to completely rebuilding the delivery experience, an area that hasn't seen any significant change in decades.
Gone will be the days when you needed to wait in all day to receive a package, when you had to wait for 3 failed attempts to be able to pick it up from the depot, or when you were forced to stay in to sign for something you consider unimportant.
Already powering 200M deliveries per year, and rapidly scaling to 1B and beyond, this is an opportunity to join a fast-growing company set to influence the lives of hundreds of millions of people.
What we’re looking for:
An experienced backend engineer with excellent teamwork and communication abilities, as well as a knack for building performant, scalable, and reliable services for both public and internal facing use-cases.
A successful candidate would have significant prior experience building services that handle 10s of millions of requests per day. Bonus points for building and maintaining your own side projects, both actively or previously, in any language.
A professional living in timezones between UTC-5 and UTC+5.
- 5+ years of professional experience as a backend engineer.
- Experience developing mission-critical APIs that cannot go down.
- Experience optimizing the performance of user-facing API's to shave milliseconds.
- Experience scaling infrastructure to support 10's of millions of requests per day.
- Developing product-powering data API's
- Developing cross-product communication API's
- Developing an external API to allow business customers to integrate with Circuit for Teams
- Circuit is currently built on top of the Firebase and Google Cloud Platform.
- Our web apps use React, TypeScript, React Testing Library, Cypress, Styled Components, Tailwind.
- Our backend stack consists of Typescript spread between Cloud Run and App Engine
- We use GitHub and Linear to get things organized and built.
How we work:
- We encourage teammates to bring in well-reasoned opinions, productively disagree with us, and to make decisions based on technical merits.
- We’re obsessed with continuous improvement, and we’re not afraid to scrap work if we figure out a better way to do things.
What we’re offering:
- £70k (~US$95k) salary + equity.
- The ability to work flexibly.
- Swift decision making and flat hierarchies.
- A high degree of autonomy in your work.
- AWS/Google Cloud
- Good written and oral communication in English
- Ability to collaborate synchronously and asynchronously
- Initiative and follow-through to take tickets and epics all the way to production, including getting help from teammates whenever needed